BioInnovation Labs (BioLabs), established in 2009 and headquartered in Cambridge, MA, is the premier network of co-working spaces for life science startups. We are enabling innovation to make the world a better place through interaction with the smartest and most motivated people in the world. We are seeking a Director of Communications to contribute to the development and execution of our business plan and long-term growth strategy. Through a rapidly growing network of global locations (currently 11 in the US and 2 in Europe), our collaborative lab space model is uniquely designed for scientific entrepreneurs to test, develop, grow, and commercialize their game-changing ideas. Each location supports entrepreneurial scientists with premium, fully equipped, and supported laboratory, and office spaces alongside unparalleled access to capital and industry.
We have a story to tell. We are seeking a Director of Communications to help us tell it in a way that furthers our mission and advances our reputation, sector leadership, and business goals. The Director of Communications is a new leadership position that will play a key role in advancing BioLabs’ strategic priorities by shaping the company’s message across multiple channels.
Reporting to the Chief Business Officer, the Director of Communications will create and execute a high-impact communications strategy and support the development of materials for multiple platforms, leveraging the company’s website, social media channels, and other collateral to reach key audiences. The Director of Communications will work closely with stakeholders across the organization, as well as external partners, to tell the story of BioLabs’ work and impact in the sector.
- Develop and lead the implementation of an annual communications plan that is aligned with BioLabs’ branding, strategic plan, and sector leadership.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to refine BioLabs’ brand and brand collateral.
- Create and manage content for all BioLabs communications including website updates, social media content, blog posts, e-newsletters, brochures, third-party contributed content, etc.
- Manage major media contacts and improve BioLabs’ visibility through earned media and other PR efforts. Serve as point person with external PR agencies when relevant on media relations activities and provide in-house support for earned media opportunities.
- Track and measure the effectiveness of communications activities in reaching target audiences.
- Oversee electronic database of key audiences to ensure accurate and strategic distribution of communications materials.
- Work collaboratively across the company to shape the communications strategy and activities across the network and at individual sites. Ensure overall consistency in communications across the organization and support staff members in communicating BioLabs’ impact effectively and consistently.
- Collaborate on internal communication efforts to grow engagement across the organization.
- Increase the amount of traditional and digital content that promotes the company messaging and conveys the company’s outcomes and determine the best dissemination strategy for the materials.
- Manage training of company spokespersons ahead of engagement with news media outlets and major events.
- Generate, manage, and adapt to crisis communication response to immediate internal and external events when needed.
- 7+ years of experience in marketing and communications. Superlative writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including the ability to craft powerful, engaging, and broadly accessible messages.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field.
- Demonstrated success in managing a comprehensive communications program across multiple communications channels, including public relations strategy and results, branding and visibility expanding, sponsor communication and engagement, and social media.
- Knowledge of and experience with the use of social media platforms, management, and analytics tools for organizations.
- Experience with use of content management systems to execute website updates preferred.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and video editing software preferred.
- Outstanding organizational and follow-through skills, including the ability to set, maintain, and meet deadlines.
- Flexible style, with the ability to collaborate with team members.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly changing environment, and execute multiple priorities simultaneously.
BioLabs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.